The Self-Employed Program seeks to bring people who will become self-employed in Canada. They must have either:
- relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics, and
- intend and be able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada, or
- experience in managing a farm, and
- intend and be able to buy and manage a farm in Canada
To qualify as a self-employed immigrant, you must:
- have relevant experience
- intend and be able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the selection criteria for self-employed people and
- meet medical, security and other conditions.
The Immigration Officer will assess you on selection criteria that include your:
- language abilities
It must be during the period starting five years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application. The experience must be:
- for cultural activities:
- two one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- two one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in A above, and a one-year period described in B above.
- for athletics:
- two one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- two one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in a above, and a one-year period described in b above, and
- for cultural activities:
- for buying and managing a farm, two one-year periods managing a farm.adaptability
Selection criteria Maximum points Education 25 Experience 35 Age 10 Ability in English and/or French 24 Adaptability 6 TOTAL 100
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
The minimum of 35 points after CIC grade you based on their five selection criteria and point system.
Professional occupations in art and culture
Occupation NOC Number Librarian 5111 Conservators and curators 5112 Archivists 5113 Authors and writers 5121 Editors 5122 Journalists 5123 Translators, terminologists and interpreters 5125 Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations 5131 Conductors, composers and arrangers 5132 Musicians and singers 5133 Dancers 5134 Actors and comedians 5135 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists 5136 Library and public archive technicians 5211 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries 5212 Photographers 5221 Film and video camera operators 5222 Graphic arts technicians 5223 Broadcast technicians 5224 Audio and video recording technicians 5225 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts 5226 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts 5227 Announcers and other broadcasters 5231 Other performers, n.e.c. 5232 Graphic designers and illustrators 5241 Interior designers and interior decorators 5242 Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers 5243 Artisans and craftspersons 5244 Patternmakers - textile, leather and fur products 5245 Athletes 5251 Coaches 5252 Sports Officials and referees 5253 Program Leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness 5254
Medical, security and other requirements
You and your family members must have a medical exam and get police certificates.
You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.